Contact Us | NASW Website
Social Work Career Center NASW JobLink - The Social Work Career Center


To be a social worker, one must have a degree in social work from a college or university program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The undergraduate degree is the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW). Graduate degrees include the Master of Social Work (MSW) and the Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) or PhD. An MSW is required to provide therapy.

Degree programs involve classroom study as well as practical field experience. The bachelor’s degree prepares graduates for generalist entry-level work, whereas the master’s degree is for more advanced clinical practice. A DSW or PhD is useful for doing research or teaching at the university level.  For information about accredited schools of social work, visit the Social Work Portal, you can search schools of social work from A to Z, by city, or by state.

Financing Your Postsecondary Education

There are many options available to you when financing your education. It is important to educate yourself.  Start with the U.S. Department of Education , specifically learn about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  Look for scholarships and grants and obtain information from multiple private lending institutions. Also, loan forgiveness can be applied for at both the federal and state levels.

Powered by The National Association of Social Workers.