What should I ask during an informational interview / networking meeting? I want to learn about the field and how to break into it.
While each Networking meeting is unique and with its own agenda, these questions provide a foundation to obtain the information you need to make smart career decisions.
Remember! Always send a thank you note to the networking contact after the meeting.
- How did you get started in the field?
- What trends are you seeing, in terms of hot opportunities or slowing sectors?
- What education or experience is required to get into the field? Are there alternative ways to gain experience?
- What kinds of skills or behavioral traits produce success in this field?
- What advice do you have for someone looking to get into the field?
- (If the person is doing a job you would be doing) Please describe a typical day. What kinds of activities are you regularly involved in?
- What do you like and dislike about your job and working in this sector?
- What kinds of companies hire people with this professional background? How do you see the differences in opportunities at these various companies?
- Are there professional associations or other organizations you recommend I contact for more information and potential networking contacts?
- Do you know anyone else with whom I could talk about this sector?